Monday, August 25, 2008

Mini Quilt Tote--Daniella Castillo's 4th Birthday!


Daniella Castillo had a 4th birthday party last weekend. Daniella is the daughter of one of ELi's cousins, Art. We see the Castillo's probably the most of Eli's extended family and definitly the most out of all of his cousins! Julian and Gabi are very familiar with Daniella and her little sister, Annalisse, who is 3 days older than my Gabriella.



I wanted to make her something special and practical and something that she would use for years to come. I know that she likes pink and is a little princess...I used that info as inspiration for this bag. Being that I was a bit of a tomboy as a girl, I had to infuse a little blue into the mix. It is hard to find any calico that is uber-boy so I knew I wouldnt detract from the girliness of this bag by using two blue fabrics and two pink.





I wanted to use this lighter pink fabric that I had because it had lots of fun other colors in it and there was probably EXACTLY enough for this little purse. I also LOVED this fabric I picked up maybe a decade ago when I worked at the fabric store that had lots of little strawberries on it. What little girl doesn't love strawberries??? The light blue fabric I chose just fit the bill perfectly and the darker pink was well suited, but there is a little story behind that choice...



I picked that fabric because it went well. I had combined all of my calico stash and was sorting through it to organize it. I had two fabrics that I had in mind for Gabi's room. One my mom gave me for that purpose and the other I got with Aunt Pam when we were shopping for fabric for Gabi's room before she was born. I was unclear at one point which fabric was which, until I cut and then it was too late. In retrospect, the lighter of the fabrics would have just a little too light and I made a great choice...the bummer is that I used fabric that was earmarked for Gabi's room.









The blocks ended up 1 1/2" X 1 1/2" each...how dainty!! I made the straps a little long at 12 1/2" before attaching them. The finished bag stands 8 1/2" tall without straps and 14" from top of straps down if you are holding it.







I wanted a nice picture of the bag and my usual take on "professional" looking is to set it on the grass and snap away. My brother-in-law has a mini studio in his room and I asked if this time I couls snap a quick pic setting my bag on his setup. He offered to do it right for me with his camera and hooked me up with a real nice pic, don't you think??



~Jeni


P.S. I almost forgot! I have a pic of her with the bag after opening it....I put a few play rings in it, bead necklaces and a sash that says "princess".

3 comments:

Chantal said...

Wow you amaze me! The studio picture look great!

Chantal said...

oh and I am going to add a link on my page to yours...

Jeni said...

Thanks Chantal. I am fortunate to have a professional photographer in the house! My brother in law has a mini studio and if I catch him at a good time, he does them for me :)