Friday, August 15, 2008

Tropical Quilt - Singletary Wedding Gift

Goodness me, my friend Laura (then surname Hooper) is married! I had no doubt in my mind that I would be making her a quilt for her wedding...I was, however, originally going to make it for her bridal shower gift. Time got away from me and the shower date was upon me! I hadn't even cut the fabric yet...oops, I think I may have had swatches but actually hadnt even purchased the fabric. HM, well I dusted off my breeches and decided I needed to get to work!


I knew all along that I would do a rail fence design and that I wanted oranges and greens involved, as Laura just reminds me of orange colors (I think she wears the color well too) and, well, green goes well with orange, doesn't it??! I also knew that I wanted to incorporate some sort of tropical theme since she loves the beach and tropical vibes! A perfect pallette...

I found several Keepsake Calico prints at Joann's that worked for this quilt. I settled comfortably with one orange leafy pattern, one green reed/leaf, and one creamy khaki fern pattern. Next: WASH, PRESS, CUT!!!

It was hot inside during the days that I was making this quilt. We had a couple of buffet tables still outside from our family dinner we had on a previous weekend (we all went frisbee golfing than came back for salad feast around a square table!)...I got to thinking, how perfect! I could lay out all of my fabric and cut it and even sew it OUTSIDE!


This quilt was being made to a "lap blanket" size. I cut 10 strips at 2 3/4" wide for each of the three fabrics. I ended up with leftover fabric, but my mind went reeling as I put this quilt together and it is all locked up in plans now :)


While sewing on this quilt, I found myself thinking about Laura and how we have known each other for, goodness, 23 years! I think she would qualify as my oldest friend for sure! I met her when we moved to Spring Valley and started at Kempton Elementary in 6th grade. I would have to say that we had a bit of a hot/cold relationship, but we always ended up back at best friends. Up until 11th grade we were tight. She left for Mount Miguel High School and their superior band program, I remember, and a trademark tiff left us out of contact for a few years...


One day I was working at the Disney Store. I had to be around 19 at the time. Anyhow, I was working (on my birthday, what a trooper!) and she came in with friends. I remember we hadn't spoken in or seen each other for about 2 years at the time. ANyhow, she walked by me...smiled...and mouthed "happy birthday" to me! I smiled back and mouthed "thank you". I think things were right after that. We kept in contact, and a couple years later she moved up to Long Beach. We always kept in contact since.


The quilt went togehter pretty quickly. I had the top of the quilt done in half a day. Mom helped me sandwich the top and the backing with the batting and we pinned it in preparation for quilting. I started quilting it, and thats when I really started to smile. It was turing out great! Its amazing how much I can get done with a companion like my mom just sitting there and chatting with me as I sew :)


Binding is always where I do my mess-ups...darn frustrating at times! SO I followed suit with a couple of friends mom has...she said that they cut their binding 2 1/2" wide. WOO HOO! Then those little spots that don't catch are a goner! I am notorious for "finish-line" mishaps and it is TOO frustrating! This time I told myself that, no, I am not a well-seasoned quilter as of yet and I shouldn't knock myself around for having to use the "jumbo crayons" once and a while to get it right. HAhaha...so the binding went on without a hitch, and that was good.



Okay, so I was pretty much done with the quilt. All I needed was a tag for it. I have made detailed tags using templates etc but decided that this time, I would hand script their names, the date of the wedding and "lovingly made by me" sort of thing. I forgot how to slip stitch for a minute...then voila! It came back to me. And I cannot say it was my best hand stitching, but I can guarantee that tag won't come off in its first wash...and after the first wash it is considered their fault, right??




Finished Quilt:




Fabric detail:



Set on a netural background (as if in a catalog haha):


I do want to thank my mom, who always has more faith in me and my abilities than I do. I wouldn't dare half of the things I do without her giving me that nudge in my back! I know this isn't the world's end in quilts, but it is a little out of my comfort level being that I can create bags, clothes, home dec without guidance...but quilting is pretty close to the most precise sewing I have had to do! When I first start any quilt, mom sits there and just talks to me...and then like helping a kid ride a bike, she lets go of the seat and lets me be...and I can do it on my own, I find. Thanks MOM!

1 comment:

Sarita said...

Wow, you say you went Frisbee Golfing??????

I like how that quilt turned out :D You better subscribe to my blog since I'm going to keep up on yours. :D